Friday, May 2, 2008

what the?

so i realize the title i chose for my blog is different... let's say original (although i so stole the idea from those cell phone commercials). the reason for such a bizarre name? when i was 12 my family moved from elizabethtown, kentucky (yes, the little town the movie was about) to the huge foreign city moscow, russia. i lived there a little over 5 years then came back to birmingham, alabama to go to college. since moscow, i have had the hardest time answering that familiar question, "where are you from?".

so my title explains where i'm from, and basically in the process, who i am.

i'm a bit of a small town, farmer girl from kentucky (thus the first 4 letters "kent"). i grew up running around barefoot, riding my pony Ben and talking with a very strong southern accent. my dad was a pastor of a very small country church, and that country life was all i knew until my parents felt called into missions. then my world was turned upside down. in moscow, russia (obviously where the "russia" of my title comes from), i very quickly became a big city, european dyevochka. my eyes were opened to this amazing world packed with languages and culture and i loved it! the experiences i had during those five and a half years made me who i am today. i'm so thankful for the travel i got to do, the friends i made and the independent, world-loving person i became! with a huge mixture of emotions, i returned to america at 18. i hated the fake, fat people i encountered in the south. but i loved the independence i had as a college student. i grew to love birmingham ("birming"). it was a fairly decent sized city with lots of great shopping and restaurants. i made good friends on my dorm hall, got a serious boyfriend and decided i wanted to be a graphic designer, all by the end of my freshman year. a year later i was married (at 20, i know, way too young) and found a little gift shop called Wrapsody that ended up being the perfect place to work through the rest of college. i somehow made it through college. i graduated as a graphic designer with no confidence in my ability what so ever. i didn't even want to think about looking for a job. so Wrapsody promoted me to manager and for 6 months i had a blast. i went out a lot with friends, shopped all the time and was "comfortable" enough where i was to stay there forever. but there's something about being comfortable that just doesn't sit well with me
and i'm always up for an adventure ... so when my hubby, dustin, got accepted to grad school in california, we sold everything but what would fit in our honda, and headed out west (with our chihuahua, bella who i haven't mentioned yet, but she's pretty much the love of my life-you'll see pics and maybe video soon) to Los Angeles ("fornia").

so here i am... and now you know a little about where i'm from and why i am who i am...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How exciting! I can't wait to read more of your blog. You're so fun and such a huge part of my little life:) Love you dyevochka!